Monday, March 3, 2008

Lunch with Alex

Lunch with Alex was great today. I had not read his post yet and told me about his conversation with Tonya. I had totally forgotten about the David Saenz bed floating incident! I honestly don't remember what set me off, but I do remember being pretty mad. (In retrospect, I am not sure what I was thinking, given the guy was a black belt in some form of martial arts). The one thing I do remember, was that his bed was made perfectly:sheets, blanket, pillow,etc. I wanted the visual effect of his pefectly made bed in the middle of the lake.

Christina's post was great! Sounds like you have had some very interesting experiences. I am a little surprised about the children part, only because I remember Christina as being very maternal and never a harsh word out of her mouth. The first time I met Chris Hung was in 1978. She was fishing in the lake (They used to stock it with fish. No fishing poles; just a stick, string and hook.) I couldn't catch anything, but Chris just kept reeling them in (though not literally, because again there were no reels on the poles). However, she would immediately throw the fish back in, because she didn't want to be mean to the fish. Sounds like some things haven't changed.


I am so glad that Tonya kept everything, because I can't find a thing. It would be great to digitize and post! Would be happy to support this effort.


Alex is on the money about supervision, or lack thereof. I think we were CIT's in both '81 and '82. Is it ever wise to put a 13 year old in charge of anything? Alex I were talking about the creek monster contest, and the year we built a floating monster that actually breathed fire. Who permitted the adolescent boys to use a butane lighter and an aersol spray to emit flames from something made of paper, sheets and sticks while waist deep in a creek?

Lastly, we need to expand this forum. We need updates from more of you, and need to find others that are out there. Where is Jeff McDade? Kathy Gross?

I remember Mark Elenko as being incredibly smart for his age, and always thought he would go to Harvard and do something in science or computers. Is this him?
That's all for now.

1 comment:

christina said...

>The one thing I do remember, was that his bed was made perfectly:sheets, blanket, pillow,etc.

somehow I missed this Matthew! What a loss for me! I hope the reality was as good as the vivid image you've made for us!

>Christina as being very maternal and never a harsh word out of her mouth.

These are also the perfect qualities for a nun--I didn't become of those either :) Thanks for the compliment M and FYI, I funnel lots of that nurturing energy into my students. I am sure you do the same!

YAY for Tonya! I can't wait to see her BJ loot! I am really enjoying this--recalling all the memories I forgot I had!