Friday, February 22, 2008

Bronco or Broncho

David Malech writes:

Hey Alex, I just noticed you keep spelling it Broncho Junction. I think the correct spelling is Bronco Junction, not "Broncho". I see on the map that it's spelled "Broncho" on the road that leads to the camp, but everybody knows it as Bronco Junction, and if people are doing some sort of web search, they may not find your Facebook group or Blog as easily.


Now as far as Putnam County is concerned, the spelling is "Broncho" which makes sense to me as it was a camp for asthmatics. Especially in the face of the general clinical description of what happens during an asthma attack.

The changes that take place in the lungs of asthmatic persons makes the airways (the "breathing tubes," or bronchi and the smaller bronchioles) hyper-reactive to many different types of stimuli that don't affect healthy lungs. In an asthma attack, the muscle tissue in the walls of bronchi go into spasm, and the cells lining the airways swell and secrete mucus into the air spaces. Both these actions cause the bronchi to become narrowed (bronchoconstriction). As a result, an asthmatic person has to make a much greater effort to breathe in air and to expel it.


Yet, Stacey Moore has chastised me for the same thing when I complained that Putnam County has it as Broncho and likely the staff screwed up somewhere:

lol! I know! But that's how they spelled it..I know my t-shirt was spelled "Bronco"


So, I'm willing to go with "Bronco" - afterall, if you can't beat 'em...

Now, on to another important naming convention that is sure to come up. Stacey reminded me about a certain creek that ran near the camp:

Do you remember that the other part of that road was called "Buck/Lick" and we called it "Butt/Lick' ha ha!!! I forgot all about that.


So, henceforth, I'd like agreement that we call the creek "buttlick" and not fight about that...

:-)

No comments: